Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Book Review: I'm Happy for You (Sort Of...Not Really) by Kay Wills Wyma


I don’t read a lot of books that I consider “life-changing” but I can honestly say that I’m Happy For You (Sort Of…Not Really) is life-changing for me.  Many times I sit back and look at my life and I’m so grateful for the wonderful things I have.  I have an amazing husband, a wonderful son, a beautiful house, a loving family, and too many more blessings to count.  But, at other times, I catch myself looking at the lives of those around me, who seemingly have things that are better than mine, or a life that is easier than mine, or (and this is a hard one for me) a child that is better behaved than mine.  It is so easy to get our minds off of the many blessings God has given to us, and wish for what someone else has.  The rise of social media in our day makes this attitude of discontent and covetousness all the more real.  We spend most of our free time, and even time that isn’t free, looking at Facebook,  Instagram or Pinterest and seeing little glimpses of other people’s lives that make them look so much more appealing than our own. 

I have been aware of this issue in my life for a while now, but wasn’t sure how to address it and change it.  It is hard for me to even admit it, or address it for what it is…jealousy, plain and simple.  Kay Wills Wyma pulls no punches in this book, and gives concrete, sometimes amusing and often painful examples of her life.  As she writes about the doubts that assail her as a parent when other parents talk about their children’s achievements, I can relate.  I can relate to that feeling of wishing that my house was as nice as someone else’s, or that my husband did something sweetly romantic for me like a friend’s husband did for her.  So, what is the answer?  How can we keep this green-eyed monster from coming into our lives and stealing our joy and contentment?  How can we learn to say along with the Apostle Paul, “For I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content?”  Ms. Wyma presents solid advice for learning to be content with what we have, and genuinely learning to be happy for others when they succeed or acquire.  When we truly address our issues with jealousy and pride, only then can we learn the fundamentals of peace, joy and contentment.

I cannot stress enough how great this book is.  I not only enjoyed reading it, I have tried to put some of the lessons it teaches into practice.  I recommend this book to anyone, especially those who are on social media (which is basically everyone, right?).  If you’re tired of living in a world where less than, better than is tantamount, read this book.  If you’re tired of looking around and wishing for things you don’t have, read this book.    If you truly want to feel happy for others who may have more things, or better things than you, read this book.  It will truly change your life, or at least your viewpoint of it.   

 

 

Happy Reading!

Lyndsie

 

I received a copy of this book through the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.   

No comments:

Post a Comment