Thursday, December 26, 2013

Book Review: A December Bride by Denise Hunter

I feel like I've been so rushed this year trying to get ready for Christmas that I've barely time for anything at all, much less reading a Christmas book.  Enter A December Bride!  It was the perfect read for my busy days.  It is the first in the A Year of Weddings series published by Zondervan Publishers.  Each book is written by a popular, Christian romance author, and will be released the month before the "wedding." For example, A February Bride will be released at the end of January and A March Bride will be released at the end of February.  They are short, sweet, simple stories about love-and obviously a wedding. 
Even though I knew how the story would end (with a wedding in December, of course) I loved this book!  I read it in snatches between wrapping presents, changing diapers, making candy, giving baths and packing lunches.  It is the story of Layla and Seth.  They've known each other for several years, but they aren't friends, since Layla blames Seth for breaking up her engagement.  When Layla needs a last-minute date to attend her ex-fiancĂ©'s wedding, Seth offers to take her.  Layla isn't happy, but agrees, so that she doesn't appear sad and lonely in front of her friends and family. (Did I mention her fiancĂ© left her for her cousin?  Talk about adding insult to injury!)  In a moment of frustration at the wedding, Seth announces that he and Layla are not only dating, but engaged!  The little, white lie quickly spreads out of control before Layla can stop it.  Suddenly, she's faced with a career move that is dependent on her engagement to Seth.  She must keep up the ruse for three weeks to land her dream job.  Seth is only too happy to comply since he's always had feeling for Layla.  He can only hope for a Christmas miracle to bring them together. 
Now, if you think that it's too late to read this book since Christmas is already past, you're wrong!  Even though Christmas does factor into the story, it doesn't mean it isn't a good read all year long.  If you're looking for a very involved story with multiple, complex characters and side stories, this isn't the book for you.  But if you want a fun read, with a sweet, though predictable, ending, look no further.  You won't be disappointed here.  I  haven't read any other books by Denise Hunter, but if I'm offered the chance in the future, I will read them.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and recommend it to anyone who's short on time, but wants a fun read.  I'm looking forward to the next eleven months of weddings, as I hope to read them all!
 
Next up: A January Bride by Deborah Raney
 
Happy Reading!
Lyndsie

No comments:

Post a Comment