Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Book Review-Truth-Stained Lies by Terri Blackstock


I have to begin this review by saying that Terri Blackstock is one of my favorite authors of any genre.  Her books are always interesting and exciting while remaining wholesome and clean.  I absolutely recommend anything she has written!
Truth-Stained Lies is the first book in the Moonlighters series.  It follows three sisters, Cathy, Juliet, and Holly as they try to find the person who murdered their sister-in-law and get their brother, who has been accused of killing her, released from jail.
This book is mostly about Cathy.  She is an ex-attorney, who gave up practicing after her fiancé was killed.  She now writes a popular crime blog.  where she investigates high-profile cases, and posts what she finds on her blog, often condemning criminals before they are proven guilty or innocent.  As she is returning to her car from the courthouse one day, she finds a note telling her she's about to find out how it feels to be judged without mercy. She blows it off until she gets home and finds out that her brother, Jay, has been arrested for murder.  She and her sisters, along with Michael Hogan, a policeman-turned-detective, must find the evidence to prove Jay's innocence before it's too late. 
I loved the plot of this book.  As with her other novels that I have read, Terri Blackstock has written something new and interesting, instead of the same old crime stuff.  I also liked the characters.  It's nice to see characters that have both strengths and weaknesses so that they seem like real people.  I enjoyed being able to see the story from multiple points of view.  Even though Cathy was the main character, we also get to see what's happening through the eyes of other characters, too.  I think this adds another layer to the story that makes it more interesting.   
It isn't too hard to figure out the criminal is in this book, but just when you think you know who's guilty and why, Ms. Blackstock throws in a curve that will have you on the edge of your seat! 
I am so glad I was able to read and review this book.  It opened up some good story lines that I'm sure will be explored in the rest of the series.  The second book in the Moonlighters series, Distortion is due out this spring and I already can't wait to read it!  I highly recommend Truth-Stained Lies!
 
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own.
 
Happy Reading!
Lyndsie

No comments:

Post a Comment