Friday, January 3, 2014

Book Review-Doing Harm by Kelly Parsons

I have never read a medical thriller before, so I really didn't know what to expect when I began reading Doing Harm.  It's outside of the realm of what I usually read, but the description made it sound so interesting, I had to give it a try.  I was not disappointed!
The story is set in a teaching hospital in Boston, where Dr. Steve Mitchell is about to finish his final year of residency.  He hopes that he will be offered a permanent position on the staff.  He's young, he's talented, he's confident.  What could go wrong?  Enter a couple of patients, a couple mistakes in surgeries, a misjudged prescription and a psycho serial killer, and lot can change very quickly. 
I was surprised to find that this plot goes much deeper than sick people in a hospital.  It's also more than trying to figure out who is the killer.  Steve finds that out about halfway through the book, and the rest is all about trying to stop them before they kill again.  This book has it all!  Murder, intrigue, secret codes, death and betrayal are just a few of the elements that Parsons has weaved so elegantly into this novel.  I don't often find a book that I enjoy so much, and that scares me so bad as this one.  I actually didn't want to put it down!  I only stopped to go to bed because the battery in my Kindle died. 
I liked the fact that the author used medical terminology, but explained it all so well.  It's as if he assumed that I had no previous knowledge of the subject (which I do not).  Everything is explained so that I could understand it, without being so basic that it became boring.
My only peeve about this book was that I felt the language was unnecessarily crude.  I don't believe that an author needs to use curse words to get a point across.  If he had left those out, I would have easily given this book five stars.  It is for this reason only that I cannot list it as a recommended read.  But if that sort of thing doesn't bother you, you'll probably enjoy this book.
 
If you read this book, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
 
Happy Reading,
Lyndsie
 
(I was provided an advance copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own)

No comments:

Post a Comment