Monday, April 23, 2012

Lil' Punkins and Herbs

I should probably begin by saying that I have a brown thumb.  If it's not absolutely foolproof, I can't grow it.  So every time that I plant something, I'm excited, but always a little sad, because I know that the chances of it actually growing into something that I can eat are pretty slim.  I have had some small success in the past with lettuce, but that's about all.  But this year, I'm gonna give it another go.  I have dreams of a nice little kitchen garden, fresh tomatoes ripening on the windowsill, fresh salads, my own pickles and jars of green beans stocked up for winter. Sigh. 
Anyways, last week my aunt gave me some pumpkin seeds that she dried out last year and told me how to get them started indoors.  So I got some little starter cells from Lowe's and some tiny pods of dirt.  All you have to do is put the pod in the cell, add a little water and it expands to fill the cell.  Last Sunday I filled the pods and put the seeds inside.  I planted 6 regular pumpkins and 4 striped ones.  I set them in the kitchen, and I've been watering them a little, but I really have no idea how to go about caring for plants (hence the foolproof statement above). 
Imagine my surprise when I came home today and noticed this:

Yes! Those little green things are tiny pumpkin plants.  I'm hopeful that the others will grow, too.  I'm going to leave them inside a few days longer and hopefully they will get a little taller and the others will start growing.  I didn't know if I was supposed to put them outside in the sun or not, but it seems to have worked out okay.  I had actually planned to put them out for a few hours today, but when I got up this morning it was snowing, so I nixed that idea. 
I've also planted a few herbs:

They are from right, Rosemary, Sweet Basil and German Thyme.  So far so good.  They've actually been inside since Saturday night.  The basil looks a little lopsided because half of it died.  I'm not sure why.  Probably my brown thumb again.  But there are some new little leaves starting underneath.  Notice my little black pots.  They have been painted with chalkboard paint and have the names of their respective plants written on the side along with a little picture that I drew.  Well, it was drawn on the side until I watered them and it washed off a little.  I feel so creative and garden-y!

Here is a quick list of other vegetables and fruits I'm hoping to plant:

*strawberries
*cucumbers (for pickles)
*tomatoes
*lettuce
*banana peppers (for my hubby to stuff with cheesy goodness and grill to perfection, yummy!)
* eggplant (love this on the grill with a little salt)
*zucchini
*squash

Is this a little over-ambitious for a brown-thumber?  We shall see...  Anybody got good ideas about easy veggies to grow or tips for the ones I've listed?  I'd love to hear them!

Lynz








No comments:

Post a Comment