Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Book Review: Love in the Details by Becky Wade


On the journey towards my goal of reading 115 books this year, I have found that sometimes nothing hits the spot quite like a novella.  The thing about novellas is that sometimes they can be a bit disappointing.  I’ve struggled through some less-than-stellar novellas in the past, and even given some up altogether.  Since they are often written by young, or new authors, they can sometimes miss some of the points of really good stories.  This novella by Becky Wade caught my eye and I decided to give it a try.  I’ve seen books by Becky Wade before, but I’ve never read any of them.  After reading Love in the Details I definitely plan to remedy that in the future.  My biggest beef with authors who write novellas, is that sometimes they just don’t have enough space or time to truly develop their plot and characters, or they give too much information in too short of space and the end of the story feels rushed.  But Ms. Wade manages to walk the fine line between these two pits.  I felt like her story was complete, without being overwhelming in the least.  I was able to connect with the characters and learn just enough about them to enjoy this sweet, albeit short, story.

Holly broke up with Josh eight years ago when he left for college, but that doesn’t mean she ever stopped loving him.  Now he’s returned to her small Texas town for a few short weeks and they are thrown together again.  They must both look beyond the pain of the past to find out if they have a future together.

I have read many of the stories written in the Year of Weddings series, and a few in the Second Year of Weddings series, and this one is one of my favorites.  Holly is charming, and endearing, and is not trying to win her man back by making him jealous, which seems to be a popular plotline in stories like this.  She’s determined to receive his forgiveness for hurting him so long ago, and then get on with her life.  Josh is not out to hurt Holly back, but is just searching for answers to old questions.  He is powerless to keep himself away from her, and finds excuses to be with her. 

I loved this story from start to finish, and definitely recommend to lovers of clean, simple, Christian romances.  It’s also great when you want a short read that won’t leave you feeling like you missed something along the way to a happy ending!

Happy Reading!
Lyndsie

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for this review. All opinions are my own, and a favorable review was not required.  Look for Love in the Details on or around October 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment