Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Book Review: Unplanned by Abby Johnson

I've always considered myself to be pro-life, but how much had I really thought about what happens to thousands of babies who are murdered in the United States every year?  I wept as I read Abby's story, not so much because of what happened to Abby, but because of the things that go on in abortion clinics in the name of "women's choice."  I actually found myself feeling a little frustrated that Abby really believed she was doing the right thing and really trying to end abortion.  I don't understand how she could feel she was doing what was right when her parents, husband and even the members of her church disagreed with her career choice, and she felt the need to hide what she did from many of her friends.  She even admits that she never felt close to God while she worked at the clinic.  But she continued working there until the day that she took part in an ultrasound-assisted abortion.  After seeing what really happens when a baby is removed from its mothers womb, she knew she could no longer be a part of Planned Parenthood, so she walked away and eventually joined the Coalition for Life.
Since she has been on both sides of the abortion fence, Abby has an understanding of the mindset of each side.  While it does seem that many of the higher-ups in the Planned Parenthood organization are really just looking for more money, that doesn't seem to be that case for all of those who work in the clinics.  Even though I can't see from their point of view, Abby really showed in this book that think what they're doing is right and that they are helping women. 
Abby tells her story with complete transparency and doesn't make excuses for her sins.  When she realized what she had done, she was truly heartbroken and repentant.  I cried along with her in the last chapter when she stood at the fence.  Her book made me realize that there are people out there who are really fighting every day to end abortion.  It's not just a slogan to them, or a sermon they hear on Sunday, but a real, true fight.  Even though I don't agree with all the choices that Abby Johnson made in her life, I truly admire the work she does now. 
If you are pro-choice, reading this book will probably not change your mind.  But if you are already pro-life, or at least leaning that way, this book can't help but touch you.  . 

Happy Reading,
Lyndsie


I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment