Monday, October 20, 2014

Book Review: Deceived by Irene Hannon

I have waited a long time for the third and final book in the Guardians of Justice series--and it was worth the wait! Deceived was just as good as Vanished and Trapped.  I'm only disappointed that Phoenix only has three PIs instead of five or six, because I can't get enough of them.
Just like his partners, Cal and Dev, before him, Connor Sullivan is about to find love while working on an investigation.  It's one of the strangest investigations that the Phoenix investigators have had.  Kate Marshall buried her husband three years ago after he drowned while fishing with their four-year-old son, Kevin.  Kevin's body was never found, but the police concluded that he died along with his father.  Kate has finally managed to move on with her life, and she's gotten a new job in St. Louis, helping battered women find jobs.  While riding an escalator in a shopping mall, she spots a boy who looks just like her son.  Startled, she calls out his name, and he turns to look at her.  Before she can get closer to him, his father rushes him out of the mall.  Knowing she'll never be able to forget the incident, Kate hires to Connor to find out if "Todd" is really her son, or if her mind is playing tricks on her.  As both the summer weather and the investigation heat up, a new relationship between Kate and Connor seems to be heating up as well.  Connor has made some mistakes in love in the past, and he's determined not to do it again.  He makes up his mind that as soon as this investigation is over, he will pursue a more personal relationship with his client, but he has to get there in time to save her life first...
As usual, I love Ms. Hannon's characters!  I've loved the stories of each of the PIs and how they found their true loves, all the while side-stepping the company policy about no personal relationships with clients.  Ms. Hannon's plots are always unusual, and this one was no different.  It was really interesting to see what steps Connor took to figure out if Todd was really Kevin.  Somehow I even found myself feeling sorry for Greg Sanders, even as I hoped that Connor could prove that Greg was a murderer and kidnapper.  My one problem with this book was the dialogue between Todd and adults.  I've never heard any seven-year-old who talked that well.  His vocabulary was much too advanced in my opinion.  But, besides that, this story was perfect in every way.  There was also a sneak peak of Irene Hannon's next book Buried Secrets at the end.  It's not due out until March, but I already can't wait to read it! 
Irene Hannon is one of my favorite Christian authors, and in my opinion, her suspense novels are among the best.  Read the Guardians of Justice series for yourself, and I think you'll agree.


Happy Reading,
Lyndsie 



You can read my review of Trapped  here and my review of Vanished here.


I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment