Monday, February 3, 2014

Book Review: A February Bride by Betsy St. Amant

Is there a more cliché time to get married than Valentine's Day?  However, that fact didn't ruin A February Bride for me in the least!  I've read three books in the A Year of Weddings series now, and I'm totally surprised that I've really enjoyed every one.  Since they are all written by different authors, most of which I've never read, I couldn't be sure I'd like them.  Even though they have all been different, they're great!
The February installment is about Allie and Marcus.  In the first chapter it's October and they're at the church for their wedding.  Allie is just about to walk down the aisle, but, suddenly, she gets very cold feet and runs away.  You see, Allie comes from a long line of women who like to use men, and then leave them.  She has had multiple step-dads herself, not to mention the men her aunt and grandmother have brought around.  She loves Marcus, but she's terrified of hurting him the same way.  She feels like she's under a curse that can't be broken. 
Four months later she has a visit from her best friend, Marcus' sister, who asks her to be the maid of honor at her February wedding.  This throws her and Marcus into each other's paths multiple times.  Can they realize the strength of their love finally seal the deal?
 I love to read an author who describes the outfits that people are wearing.  It just really helps me to picture things in my mind a lot better.  I loved that Ms. St. Amant usually supplied the details of what Allie wore.  One of my favorite scenes was the engagement party, when she was first glad for the outfit she chose, until she saw Marcus, and wished she'd chosen something else.  The wedding shower scene was cute, too.  It just felt real to me, that she would worry about her clothes around someone she cared so much about. 
I have to admit that while reading this book, I was more than a little annoyed at Allie.  I wanted her to just tell Marcus the truth, and marry him!  But at the same time, I can understand how she felt embarrassed by her family.  She struggled a lot through the book to let go of her past and move on.
This book was wonderful!  It's a perfect love story for the month of February.  After all, nothing's more romantic than a Valentine's Day wedding!
I hope you're also reading the novellas in the A Year of Weddings series.  If so, let me know what you think of them!
 
Happy Reading,
Lyndsie
 
I was provided an advance copy of this book in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment