Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Book Review: The Wedding Chapel by Rachel Hauck


Sometimes when I hear that a certain author has written a new book, I know that I must read it as soon as possible, and that I must recommend it to all of my friends.  Rachel Hauck is that kind of author, and The Wedding Chapel is that kind of book.  I have read many of Ms. Hauck’s books in the past, and have never been disappointed.  My book wishlist is full of every book of hers that I have not read yet.  Suffice it to say, I am a fan.  Her stories are full of lovable and unusual characters.  Most of her books seem to be about second chances for love, and not only between a man and a woman, but sometimes between mothers and daughters, sons and fathers and siblings.  I read The Wedding Dress a while back and loved it, so when I saw that The Wedding Chapel was written in the same vein, I knew it would be great.  

The Wedding Chapel centers around Jimmy Westbrook and the girl he loves, Collette Greer, in the late 40s and early 50s.  Jimmy loved Collette from the moment he first saw her face in a picture.  He wooed her and won her love, building a lovely wedding chapel where he planned to marry her when he returned from Korea.  However, Collette ended their relationship, left town and Jimmy never saw her again. 

Fast forward sixty years.  Collette is a famous soap opera actress on the verge of retirement.  She’s been asked to write her memoirs, and she’s decided to reveal all of the secrets that she’s held inside so long.  Collette has remained estranged from her family, but when she connects with her niece, Taylor, she learns that Jimmy is planning to sell the wedding chapel.  In her heart, Collette knows what she must do to make things right.

Taylor is having problems of her own.  She eloped with the handsome Jack Forrester after dating him only a few months.  Now she’s unsure if he still loves her.  Jack does love Taylor, but he’s suffered so much pain and rejection in his life, he doesn’t know how to tell her.  The two of them have a lot to learn, and Jimmy, Collette and their wedding chapel may be just what they need to help them figure it all out. 

Rachel Hauck is a master of writing from different points of view, and even different time periods.  The narrative alternates between Jimmy, Collette, Jack and Taylor, and jumps between the 1950s and the present day.  But it’s never confusing or overwhelming, and reveals just enough of the story as is needed.    

This story was absolutely beautiful, and left me in tears.  It is a story about misunderstandings and mistakes, pain and sorrow, but ultimately, second chances and forgiveness.  I enjoyed it from the very first page, all the way to the end.  I recommend that you run, don’t walk (or type very quickly) to your favorite bookseller to buy this book.  It is in my opinion Rachel Hauck’s best book to date, guaranteed to sell like hotcakes, and you don’t want to miss it!

 

Happy Reading!

Lyndsie

 

 

I was given an advance copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own, and a favorable review was not required.  Look for The Wedding Chapel on or around November 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment