Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Book Review: Sand in My Sandwich by Sarah Parshall Perry

Since I became an adult (you know, about a year and a half ago) I've tried to broaden my reading horizons a little.  While fiction will always be my favorite, I have found several non-fiction books that I have enjoyed.  I can't say that I've ever truly read a non-fiction book, with the exception of Unbroken, that fell into the "unable to put down" category--until I read Sand in My Sandwich and Other Motherhood Messes I'm Learning to Love by Sarah Parshall Perry.  Reading this book is literally like sitting down and having a heart-to-heart with a mom who has struggles, but is trying to make the best out of them.  She tells it like it is. 
I laughed and I cried while I read this book.  Sarah tells about her early life, and how she became an anxious, worrying control-freak.  But she also tells about the circumstances that God has brought into her life and continues to bring into her life through her own illness and her sons' disabilities.  She shows  how His grace is always sufficient for even Type A mothers who  are at their wits' end facing things they just can't control any more.  Sarah has three children, two of which have forms of autism.  Even though most days are a struggle, she faces it all with courage and humor. 
Sand in My Sandwich is an encouragement for all moms, and not just those with kids on the autism spectrum.  Because the truth is, that while all of our kids may not gag and throw up when they see a naked foot, or use curse words in their Christian school, they will all do things that upset and embarrass us.  Even if you have a typical child, they will suffer and they will have pain and problems at some time in their life.  After reading about the Perry's struggles, I feel like I can face my everyday problems with a bit more grace.  I also learned that I maybe shouldn't be quite so judgmental towards the family at the next table with children who just won't sit and behave.  Maybe they aren't suffering from lack of discipline, but have other issues that may not be evident on the surface.  Sarah shows that God can turn even less-than-perfect circumstances into a beautiful and wonderful life if we learn to look at them through His eyes. 
If you are a mom who has ever thrown her hands up and wondered if you can make it through the rest of this day, you should read this.  If you have a child with learning or developmental disabilities, you should read this.  If you're a parent who has no idea what I'm talking about, you should read this.  Trust me, you'll understand soon.


Happy Reading...and parenting!
Lyndsie


I received a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment