Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Book Review: The Inn at Ocean's Edge by Colleen Coble

I was so sad to see Colleen Coble's Hope Beach series end, but if The Inn at Ocean's Edge is any indication, the Sunset Cove series may just be better.  I am already a HUGE fan of Ms. Coble, and I will literally read anything and everything she writes.  This is absolutely my favorite book of hers that I have read to date.  There was so much suspense in this book, and I had no idea what was going on or how it was going to end.  There were so many different elements of the story and so many layers to the mystery.  Just when I thought I had one part figured out, she threw in another curve ball and I was off wondering again!
This book is about Claire Dellamare, who is making a business trip with her father to Folly Shoals, Maine to try and seal the deal on a large merger.  He doesn't know she's coming, and for some reason he's not happy to see her.  As soon as Claire enters the hotel where she'll be staying, she has a major panic attack.  While taking a walk to clear her head, she sees a young woman murdered and calls 911.  No sooner does she hang up the phone than someone knocks her out.  When she comes to the police have arrived, but there's no sign of the body.  It would seem that Claire has set in motion a disastrous chain of events just by coming to Folly Shoals.  Now she finds herself wondering who she really is and where she belongs.  Has she been in Folly Shoals before?  Why can't she remember?  Is the dream she's had for so many years really a nightmare, or is a horrible memory trying to resurface?  As the body count rises, Claire finds herself fighting for her very life.  The only person who believes her is Luke Rocco.  He's been searching for clues to his mother's disappearance for twenty-five years, and it seems that Claire holds the key--if only she could remember.  As Claire finally begins to remember the things that happened to her so many years ago, she finds herself in more danger than ever, and can only hope that Luke will arrive in time.
This book was slightly different than Ms. Cobles other books.  While the faith aspect was present, it was maybe not quite so pronounced as in other books.  The physical side of the relationship between Claire and Luke also seemed to be a bit more steamy to me than some of her other characters.  There was still a definite line though, that she didn't cross.  I didn't always find these characters to be as true-to-life as I've come to expect from this author, but it didn't hinder my love for this book in any way.  It has everything a great story needs in my opinion.  I couldn't put it down.   It's an absolute must-read for all Coble fans, as well as fans of Christian thrillers in general. 

Happy Reading!
Lyndsie


I was given an advance e-galley of this book by the publisher in exchange for this review.  A favorable review was not required and all opinions are my own.  Look for The Inn at Ocean's Edge from your favorite bookseller on or around April 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment