Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Book Review:Make Up by Michelle Phan

How many people do you know who have turned their passion/hobby into a career?  Michelle Phan is one famous example of someone who started out just doing something she loved, and ended up with a great career that makes her happy.  In today's technology driven world, it's becoming more and more possible to do this.  In case you don't know, Michelle has a YouTube channel where she demonstrates makeup tricks and tips.  From her humble beginnings with just a camera and computer, she has risen to international fame.  Her resume now includes a stint as a Lancôme spokesperson, a makeup artist, founder of a makeup brand and more.  I must admit that I've never watched any of Michelle's videos on YouTube, but I admire anyone who can turn their passion into a business.  That is the main reason I got this book.  I figured if I learned some new makeup and fashion tips along the way, it was a bonus.
This book disappointed on nearly every level.  I probably should have guessed from the cover graphic and font that it was written for younger people.  It's full of little doodles in the margins and pictures of Michelle with different makeup, hairstyles (and colors) and outfits.  While this might be helpful to someone who's young and just looking for a career or a personal style, it was too basic for me.  The makeup, hair, nail and style tips were pretty irrelevant to someone who is mature.  I did find it interesting to read about Michelle's journey to creating her brand and establishing her business, but that's about all I got from this book.  I'm actually a little surprised that I finished it, but I guess I kept hoping it would get better.
While I was very disappointed in Make Up I have a young friend who is about to graduate high school and will probably be looking for a job.  I'm going to give this book to her.  I think she might find some good tips about resumes and interviews here.  She's already pretty stylish though, so I doubt the fashion and makeup tips will help her much. 
Bottom Line: If you're older than about 21, this book probably isn't for you.

Happy Reading!
Lyndsie


I was given a copy of this book through the Blogging for Books program.  A favorable review was not required and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment