Monday, December 15, 2014

Book Review: Love Gently Falling by Melody Carlson

I love to read Melody Carlson's books!  Her plots and characters are so real and down-to-earth.  I've had this book on my "to review" list for a long time, but since it's a winter-themed book I put it off for a long time.  In a way I'm glad that I did, because  did seem more real to read it while it was cold outside!
This book is about Rita, a hairdresser who left her home in Chicago to attend beauty school in California.  Now she's a stylist at a popular salon in Beverly Hills.  Then comes the day that she receives the call that her mom had a stroke and is in the hospital.  Rita rushes home to be by her mom's side.  When her mother seems to be improving, Rita makes a trip to her mom's beauty solon, Hair and Now, to check things out.  She's appalled to see how it's gone downhill since she left.  The décor and even the beauty products are old and outdated, and there are barely enough customers to keep the stylists busy.  So Rita hatches a plan to remodel and update the shop to help her mom with the business.  Along the way she'll reconnect with some old friends--and enemies--and maybe find a little romance. 
I am a lover of all "before and after" remodeling projects and even just reading about this one was great.  Ms. Carlson is a beautiful scene-painter, and I really felt like I could see all the details in my mind as I read.  I liked Rita's character, and her desire to help her mom and the business.  I really liked Johnny, and only wish that his and Rita's relationship had been a bigger part of the plot.  The ending came on very suddenly--so suddenly that I didn't even realize it was the end until I turned the page--but it was a good one in my opinion!  I also loved how the whold story revolved around ice skating, and an old ice rink in front of Hair and Now.
This book is a Valentine's Day book, and I think it's a perfect one for the season.  While there is a little romance brewing on the side, this is really a story about love and sacrifice for family.  And let's admit that even when we don't have a romantic love interest in our lives, we always have family to love!

Happy Reading!
Lyndsie


I was given an advance copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own.  Look for your copy of Love Gently Falling at your favorite bookseller on or around January 6, 2015. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to see all your book reviews! I have been in a reading rut and this one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete