Monday, November 3, 2014

Book Review: Motherless by Erin Healy

I haven't every read anything like Motherless before.  It's not only going on my "Best Books of 2014" list, but on my "Best Books I've Ever Read" list.  It made me question things I thought I knew.  Even though this book is not supported by the Bible's explanations of death and the afterlife (according to the Bible there is no forgiveness of sin or chance to redeem oneself after death), I could enjoy this book as a "what if?" kind of story.  It's hard to give a brief summary without giving away the plot--which was incredibly dark and twisting.  Every time I thought I knew what was going on, Ms. Healy jerked the steering wheel and sent the characters careening around another dangerous curve!
This book is about Garrett and Misty Becker--sort of.  It's really about their kids and what happened to them after their parents both died.  Misty Becker committed suicide when Marina and Dylan were just children.  Now, they're nearly adults, and are faced with the death of their father as well.  As they flounder around, alone in the world, Sara Rochester, their mother's cousin reaches out to help them.  Marina is convinced she's up to something, and Dylan is convinced she's really his mother and that she's been hiding all these years.  But none of them are prepared for the truths that will be revealed--especially the one person who is watching this whole story unfold and is powerless to do anything to stop it.
This story is told in first person point-of-view, but not by one of the characters who are in the story.  Does that sound confusing?  It is, but just enough that it adds depth to the story.  I found myself repeatedly flipping back to the beginning to re-read and see if I could figure out what was going on.  Erin Healy masterfully directs the plot to make you think one thing is happening and then, WHAM! you find out it's not what you thought at all. 
I feel like I can't rave enough about this book.  It is incredible!  If you like a real thriller, this is the book for you.  I can't help but wonder if all of Ms. Healy's books are this good.  I guess I'll have to read them to find out...




Happy Reading!
Lyndsie


I was given an advance copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own.  Look for Motherless  at your favorite bookseller on or around November 11, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment