Friday, October 3, 2014

Book Review: Buttermilk Sky by Jan Watson

I hate to admit this, but I've been in sort of a reading slump lately.  It's not that I'm not reading anything good, but nothing much has captured my interest.  Then I got Buttermilk Sky by Jan Watson in the mail from Tyndale House.  I love this book!  It was an easy, feel-good kind of read.  It is part of a series, but can stand alone.  I haven't read any of the others, but it didn't hinder me in reading this one.
It takes place in 1913 in Kentucky.  Mazy Pelfrey has left behind her small, mountain town to move to Lexington to enter secretarial school.  She left behind her beau, Sheriff Chanis Clay.  Chanis is in love with Mazy, and has been since the first time he set eyes on her.  Mazy, however, wants to experience more than life in a small town.  Lexington, though, is all new to her.  Her studies at the secretarial school are harder than she thought, and friendships aren't as easy to come by in the city.  Then she meets Loyal Chambers.  He's the dreamy young man that all the girls have their hearts set on.  His heart seems to be set on Mazy.  When Chanis pays her a visit in the city, Mazy will be forced to decide which direction she'll choose for her life.  Facing a possible rejection from the girl of his dreams, Chanis must look at his own life to decide what it is he really wants to do.
This book is light and fun and I really enjoyed it.  The characters aren't deep or complicated, but they were likeable.  I did feel like there were some small story lines that didn't seem to fit into the plot.  For instance, there were some parts about Eva that I thought could have been explored a little more deeply.  The resolution seemed to come too quickly, without as much conflict as I would have expected.  These things didn't detract from the story for me, and there was a little surprise at the end that I enjoyed very much.   
This is my first book by Jan Watson, but I hope it won't be my last!  I did a quick search on Amazon and found all of the other books by Jan Watson that preceded this one.  Now I want to read them all!  If you'd like to read something that just makes you feel happy, I think you'll enjoy Buttermilk Sky as much as I do!


Happy Reading,
Lyndsie


I was given an advance copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment