Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Book Review: Angels Walking by Karen Kingsbury


Karen Kingsbury is one of those authors who just can't write a bad book.  As the first book in a new series of the same name,  Angels Walking is not one of my favorite books that she has written, and isn't really my style of literature, but I can't deny that it is well-written and is a good story.  It is the definition of a "feel-good" kind of book.
The title comes from the idea that we may come into contact with angels in our every day lives and never know who they are.  It is taken from a verse in Hebrews that says, "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."  The premise is good, and very well-executed.  Twenty angels have been gathered in Heaven for a special mission.  They are being sent to earth to help some humans who are struggling.  The people they will be assisting in this book are Tyler Ames and Samantha Dawson.  They were in love once, but got separated by time and circumstances.  Samantha is living in California, working a good job and dating a safe, solid man.  Tyler is living in Florida, playing ball for the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, hoping to get called up to the majors.  A freak accident leaves Tyler injured and unable to afford the surgery he needs to be able to pitch again.  Tyler and Sami need to find their way back together--for reasons not made clear in this book.  Enter the two angels, Ember and Beck.  They must interfere and do whatever it takes to bring Tyler to California for his surgery and reconciliation with his family and Sami.
In true Kingsbury fashion, this story involves multiple characters who weave seamlessly into the plot.  Her characters are well-developed.  You like the ones you're supposed to like, and don't like the ones you're not supposed to like.  There are no gray areas here.  While that does make a nice story, I find it a little boring.  My least favorite part of this story was trying to see things from angels point of view.  I understand that this is the work of the author's imagination, but I would rather have left a little more mystery behind their work.  I don't think we can presume to know how God uses angels, and how they work in our lives.  And here, it seemed that the angels made all the plans and did all the work.  I would like to have seen God get a little more credit than the angels.  I don't think He sends them to earth and leaves them to plant things on their own.  I did like the fact that the characters never figured out they were being aided by angels and chose simply to trust the miracles in their lives. 
This story wrapped up very neatly with no loose ends.  However, Ms. Kingsbury left enough mystery to make her readers want to read more.  The next book promises to be very interesting with battles and maybe even characters who die.  Two more angels will be sent to earth to complete a new mission.  There were twenty angels called to the meeting in the beginning and ending of this book, and it seems that they will be sent out in pairs.  I hope that doesn't mean this story line will last for ten books.  I definitely plan to read the others, because I really do want to know what happens, but I don't think I can hold on for nine more books.  Overall, I enjoyed this book.  Karen Kingsbury has a style that has made her very popular with her fans, and this book is no exception.  If you are a fan of her past work you will enjoy this book.  If you're looking for something different, this isn't it.  

Happy Reading!
Lyndsie 


I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment