Monday, May 26, 2014

Book Review: A June Bride by Marybeth Whalen


Every time I read one of the books in the Year of Weddings Series, I like it even better than the one before--until now.  A June Bride has been my least favorite of all the books so far.  Thankfully, it was the shortest. 
It is the story of Wynne Hardy, the star of a reality show, where she gets to choose the perfect man to marry.  But when the men stand in front of her at the final show, she misses the face of her high-school sweetheart and ex-fiancé, Callum.  But, Wynne chooses Andy from among the contestants and begins to plan a June wedding with him.  Only a few weeks before her wedding, Callum calls and asks her to come and see him one last time before she gets married.  Even though she feels like it's a mistake, she goes anyways.  It's pretty obvious that she still has feelings for him, but she denies them and decides to go ahead and marry Andy anyways. 
Wynne ignores every warning sign against marrying Andy, including her pastor deciding that he won't perform the ceremony.  She catches Andy with another woman.  Andy tells her he has been having doubts, too, and thinks it's best if they call it off.  But she still goes to a press conference and announces that she's going through with the wedding!  The final chapter ends with her running away from the press conference into Callum's arms.  There is a prologue that is said to be three months later and Wynne and Callum are visiting a local talk show to discuss their relationship.  They aren't married or even engaged.  Wynne is finding that her life can be happy through her mother's vegetable soup, time spent with friends and her new puppy.  She doesn't need a man. 
I have two words.  OH PLEASE!!  If an author wants to write a book about a woman who is in love with her high school sweetheart, nearly marries a man she shouldn't, calls off her wedding and then finds happiness in soup, that's great.  But don't do it in a book called A June Bride in a series about weddings! There is no wedding in this book! I was so disappointed.   
I read a lot of deeper, more serious books.  So when I want something light and fun to read, I choose something like this.  I love these books for the love stories and the weddings.  The weddings!!  There is no point in reading a wedding book with no wedding. 
I found the characters in this book shallow.  Wynne used  her faith as a crutch, praying for guidance and then ignoring it when it came.  The plot was silly.  I did enjoy the descriptions of the beach. 
I haven't read any of Ms. Whalen's books before, so I have nothing to compare this one to.  In some other series, with some other ending, it might have been better.  But I really didn't enjoy it in the Year of Weddings series.

Happy Reading,
Lyndsie


I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my review.  All opinions are my own.     

No comments:

Post a Comment