Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Book Review: Growing Up Duggar by Jana, Jill, Jessa & Jinger Duggar


I generally don't follow fad families. (say that five times fast!)  But the Duggars have always fascinated me.  They are a beautiful family who seem to have it all together...and they do it all together. I've often wondered how they managed to do it.  I find it amazing that even the oldest kids are still following the principles of Jim Bob and Michelle, even though they are old enough to do whatever they want.  After reading Growing Up Duggar, I can really see the things they have sacrificed in order to have the strong family they have today.
The four oldest girls, Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger, open their lives up a little for the reader to get a look inside what goes on in the Duggar home.  While reading this book I could see their love for their family and their commitment to following God and the principles of the Bible.  They are not perfect, but their family as a whole have made choices that have made them the beautiful, Godly role models they are today. 
The book is broken down into sections based on relationships, including "Your relationship with yourself," "Your relationship with your parents," and "Your relationship with your siblings."  They describe how each of these relationships is developed and used in their lives, and the systems their family uses to stay close to one another.  They talk about the principles they live by, and give Bible references for everything they do.  They discuss boys, clothes, hair, siblings, friends, church, politics and just about everything else girls think about.  For those looking for answers about their love lives, that can be found here, too! 
As I read I was amazed at the things the Duggar family does to be "in this world, but not of it."  They don't live under a rock and choose not to see the wickedness and degeneration around them.  They see the what's going on and try to make a difference in the world.  They make conscious choices to protect themselves and their testimonies.  So far, it seems to be working.  Some may think their measures are too drastic, but I applaud them.  If more Christians lived like them our world would be a better place.  However, I learned through reading this book (as well as A Love that Multiplies by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar) that they work hard to maintain their purity and standards.  A family like theirs that continues to serve God and love each other even when they're grown doesn't happen by accident.  It is the result of a lot of hard work and prayer.
While this book is written with teenage girls and young adults in mind, I was completely inspired by it.  It made me want to work harder to protect my faith and family from the world.  It's encouraging to see a family that really has made it work.  I recommend it to anyone who has a daughter, or even a son, and wants to raise them to serve God and others.  I definitely recommend it for teenage girls, or those who aren't married and are searching for God's will.  I'm so glad I was able to read the Duggar girls' story.

Happy Reading!
Lyndsie


I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment