Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Book Review: An April Bride by Lenora Worth

If you've read this blog much at all you know my love for the Year of Weddings series published by Zondervan.  So far I haven't been disappointed at all, but I really thought that would change when I read An April Bride.  I don't usually read any reviews of a book before I read and review it.  I feel that is unfair to myself and the author.  I want the opinions to be only mine.  However, I slipped up and read a review about this book on Goodreads.  The reviewer said it was her least favorite of the Weddings series.  She then went on to describe how she hated the main character and found her to be shallow, selfish and whiny.  So, I began the book expecting to dislike it.  After I read it, I couldn't disagree with that reviewer more!
An April Bride is the story of Stella and Marshall.  They were high school sweethearts and got engaged shortly before Marsh joined the Army.  During a deployment in Afghanistan, March is injured.  In addition to head injuries and memory loss, he suffers from PTSD.  Stella doesn't know this until he comes home, a month before their wedding day.  Even though he doesn't remember her, Marshall is determined to go ahead with the wedding.  Stella is still in love with Marshall, and wants to help him remember her, but is torn about proceeding with the wedding as planned.  Even as Marshall struggles with nightmares and flashbacks, Stella is patient and loving, hoping that they can still have their happily ever after. 
I loved this story.  I thought Stella was a wonderful heroine!  She wasn't demanding or impatient at all.  She loved Marshall enough to want to do what was best for him.  Deep down Marshall loved her, too, he just needed a little help to remember.  My only issue with this book at all was the Southern vernacular that slipped in sometimes and annoyed me.  I don't know why, but I hate reading the word, "sugah."  It drives me crazy!!  Other than that, this was a great read and I recommend it with all the others in the series!


Happy Reading!!
Lyndsie


I was given a copy of this book in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment