Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Book Review: The Quarryman's Bride by Tracie Peterson


I read this book a while back, and finally got around to posting this review.  I can say it's been a long time since I read a Christian fiction novel that I enjoyed as much as this one.  The plot is different than any I've read before, and had a few surprises along the way. 
It's the story of Emmalyne Knox and Tavin Maclachlan.  They are engaged to be married when a tornado strikes the area where they live, killing Emmalyne's two younger sisters.  Her father forbids her from marrying Tavin and moves his family away.  Years later they are brought together again, and discover that their feelings for each other are the same.  They must work to overcome bitterness and hardships before they can have a future together.

This story is not complicated, and may not be considered a page-turner, but Ms. Peterson's writing style is enjoyable and held my attention until the end.  At first I was angry at the way the story was going, but then I realized that's what makes a good story.  It draws you in and makes you feel like you know the characters and feel their emotions.
The one down-side I found to this book was the way that Ms. Peterson portrayed the Quarryman's Union to be bullies and murderers.  Knowing the good that unions have done for workers in America, I found this part of her book to be frustrating.
Tracie Peterson is one of my favorite authors of Christian fiction, and I'm happy to add this book to my library.  I recommend this book to anyone looking for a light read with a mostly happy ending.

Happy Reading!
Lyndsie

No comments:

Post a Comment